ibani masque

Cross-border workers and coronavirus

This page regroups useful information for cross-border workers regarding the measures taken by Switzerland to fight the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

Last update: 18.01.2021

You will find on this page the current state of measures in effect in Switzerland to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

Authorized activities

  • Any shop selling essential goods. No opening hour restriction for them. Essential goods include:
    • Food products (fresh and dry)
    • Drugstore and hygienic items
    • Dishes and table items
    • Cleaning products
    • Newspapers and magazines
    • Stationery
    • Flowers and plants
    • DIY and gardening
    • Photography gear
    • Electrotechnic spare parts and accessories (batteries, etc.)
    • Hosiery, underwear and clothing for babies
    • Food and hygienic products for animals
  • Gas stations
  • Kiosks
  • Restaurants and cantinas of companies, schools and hotels
  • Take-away food

Forbidden activities

Businesses and activities listed below are closed until the end of February 2021.

  • Shops that don't sell essential goods (order withdrawals are authorized)
  • Restaurants and bars
  • Nightclubs
  • Cultural facilities (museums, movie theaters, zoos, etc.)
  • Sport facilities (gyms, swimming pools, ice skating, contact sports, etc.)
  • Recreational facilities
  • Any event

Home office

Home office is mandatory starting 18 January 2021, when it is reasonably possible. The employer must provide all the tools required by the employee to accomplish his/her work from home, but is not obliged to participate in the home expenses (electricity, Internet, rental, etc.).

For any person who cannot work from home, you will find all the information on the protection measures at work on the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) website.

Gatherings

  • Private: max. 5 persons
  • Public: max. 5 persons
  • Sport and culture: max. 5 persons (exceptions for children below 16 y.o.)

Curfew in France

It is forbidden to be outside in France from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am without an exemption certificate. To go or return from work within these hours, you will therefore need to have that exemption certification with you, under penalty of a fine:

Borders and traffic

The borders of Switzerland are open. Only the persons coming from the United-Kingdom or from South Africa are forbidden to enter the Swiss territory.

The list of persons required to self-quarantine upon entry in Switzerland can be found on the FOPH website.

Schools

Teaching in Switzerland is done in person up to high school. Remote teaching is applicable for colleges and universities, except when a class cannot be given remotely (lab experiments, for instance).

Cantonal measures

Here is the list of webpages with information on cantonal measures for:

Ski resorts

The authorization to open a ski resort depends on each cantonal authority. Open ski resorts usually offer take-away food on the slopes.

Salary

If you work from home, you will continue getting your salary normally.

If no home office is possible but your employer still makes you stay at home, you will continue getting your salary normally.

If your employer has suspended your activity, he must continue paying you at least 80% of your salary. Many employers pay the remaining 20% to avoid impacting their employees.

More info on the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs website

Sick leave

If you caught the coronavirus or any other disease justifying a sick leave, you will continue getting your salary and allowances according to the Swiss Code of Obligations and your employer's loss of earnings insurance.

Don't forget that you must immediately inform your employer if you are sick.


About ibani

ibani is an online currency exchange service helping you make bank transfers in different currencies at a cheaper cost than your bank or your foreign exchange office.

More info

Get our next guide by email

Don't miss our next article on life and work in Switzerland, and receive it straight into your mailbox when published!

Subscribe

Have a question?

Our FAQ gathers the most frequent questions that our clients ask us. Your question is probably answered there!

To the FAQ

If you don't find the answer you're looking for, our team will help you by email, on the phone (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm), on Facebook or on Twitter.

Back to the blog